Mothers' Hideaway Blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.mothershideaway.com/blog

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mothers' Hideaway: Things I Love Thursday! (sleep vs. kids)

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Things I Love Thursday! (sleep vs. kids)



I love sleep. I enjoy curling up in a cocoon of soft blankets, resting my head on a cool pillow, and drifting into a world where I just don't have to do anything for awhile. I love waking up feeling energized, ready to face the day with a spring in my step. I love when the bags under my eyes are nearly nonexistent thanks to finally obtaining the rest my body so desperately needs.

That being said, I have two children. I have an amazing 3 1/2 year old little boy who jumps on my bed in the morning, eyes bright and full of excitement, asking "what are we going to do today?" He also has periodic night terrors. As a parent, it is so hard to watch your child have one of these, and it is even harder at two o'clock in the morning. Ahh.. sleep. Not for either of us on a night like that.

I also have a 5 month old little girl who thinks sleep is highly overrated. When 3 am rolls around, you can bet my beautiful baby girl is ready to party. So, I instead sit on the couch, baby to my breast, wondering how I can enjoy these moments. Because, even as the hours tick by an I lose more and more sleep, I simply can't stop gazing down at this amazing little baby, thinking over and over again just how blessed I really am to have her. Even if we don't sleep.

Last night, my son had a night terror and my daughter didn't sleep for more than an hour and a half at a time. I was nursing my baby while comforting my three year old, all of us awake though desperate not to be. Finally, m son calmed down and fell asleep curled up against me while my daughter's eyes finally drifted shut while laying on my chest. There I was, in my three year old's bed with my back against the wall, awake at 4 am. And, I was in heaven.

So, yes, I love sleep. One day, I will again embrace that good old friend of mine. But for now, I love these moments even more.


What do you love about your kids? Share with us at The Kiddie Pool at www.mothershideaway.com!


Thanks to thediaperdiaries.net for having Things I Love Thursday!


3 Comments:

At July 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM , Anonymous . said...

we all love sleep but as a mother we never get enough.... love this entry hun

 
At July 9, 2009 at 3:00 PM , Anonymous thediaperdiaries said...

Well said. I have the rest of my life to sleep but only a few precious years to snuggle my kiddos.

 
At July 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous LaVonne said...

I miss sleep. My princess is 18 months old and I have not slept one full night since well before she was born. (Potty time at night while pregnant was not fun either.) Man, I can't wait to sleep again. I am tired. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home