Mothers' Hideaway Blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.mothershideaway.com/blog

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mothers' Hideaway: Unexpected Thankfulness

Monday, November 23, 2009

Unexpected Thankfulness




Thank you Hillarie for today's blog!

I know this may be a bit of a downer, but it is the month to be thankful. Since there has been something on my mind lately, I thought I would blog it out.

My grandfather passed away suddenly July 8th. He was 85 and this month would have been his 68th wedding anniversary with my grandmother.

I think of the life and example he left us and am proud and grateful (eternally so) and thankful. He was a man of service, he cared about others and helped others as often as he possibly could. He was a good man. He did service right to the end. He brought in garbage cans and newspapers for little old widows who lived in his neighborhood. He did that every Wednesday but this time his heart gave out after getting home.

Although its been extremely tough on my family I cant help but think of this man, this rock and his smile. When we had his viewing, my grandmother nearly collapsed. It took my mom and my 3 sisters on all sides to hold her up and get her to sit next to him. As much as I was totally overcome with despair, mostly for my grandmother, I couldnt help but realize how that much sorrow also meant that there was that much love and devotion.

I looked at my husband and realized that I was so blessed and thankful to have him in my life and how much sorrow I would have if anything were to happen to him. A balance you could say. To have light you must have dark, etc.

I'm thankful for the love he and my grandma shared and that example. I'm thankful for his service to his fellow man and teaching me that. I'm thankful for his deep voice and crooked grin that resonate in my head daily so the sorrow I feel doesn't take over like it could.

I'm thankful for death because it taught me so much and it made me look deep within and see things I would not have focused on before and it has helped to make me a better person. It has helped to make me a better and more appreciative granddaughter to my grandma. It made me see her in a clearer way (and not the jaded way you can see stubborn older people at times LOL).So even with the great sadness it brings, my grandfather's passing helped me to see that there is always something to be thankful for- even in death.


Share with us what you're thankful for at www.mothershideaway.com!

Thank you to Carnival of Family Life for hosting this Thankfulness edition!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home