Mothers' Hideaway Blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.mothershideaway.com/blog

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mothers' Hideaway: Your children's future profession

Friday, May 1, 2009

Your children's future profession

Today's topic of interest: your child(ren)'s future profession. What do you want your child(ren) to do??

I'm going to start with this post:

Oh, I'm going to be the lame one that says "Whatever he chooses". I was raised by parents that had my career and lifestyle chosen for me and I hated it. If I had been a weaker person I would have listened to them instead of following my passion of teaching. You know?


Now, be honest, who else had the initial thought of doctor or lawyer, etc? Me, me!! LOL. Seriously, you can't help but think, I want my kid to be that above and beyond all profession, where he/she is the best of the best and makes a gazillion dollars. But, let's consider our poster's thoughts; what happens if we push our kids to something that would ultimately lead to their unhappiness?

Would we know that we were the cause of our children's unrest? Would we care if they were quote unquote Successful? Would we care more if they were unhappy without financial security? What standards need to be in place before we decide that our children's fate is truly up to them? Also, at what point are we thrilled if our children decide to buck everything we want them to pursue? Do we say never? Do we say always?

I say somewhere in between. Because, at the end of the day, I don't want my children hurting for money. I don't want to have to support them (come on, you know you thought that too!), I don't want them to have to have several jobs, and I don't want them to be scraping by. I want my kids to have a profession that both makes them happy and pays their bills.

Shooting for the moon? Probably. But I'd like to think I'll land among the stars.


What do you think about this? Visit our forum and tell us! See our topic of the day, plus a ton of others! http://mothershideaway.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=233

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home